UPDATE: We've extended the deadline for submissions to Monday, November 22nd! Submissions are accepted on a rolling basis, so send yours in early or the window you like may have already been snapped up! We've also extended the period for creating the window to provide more convenience to participating artists.
Hard to believe, but the holidays are just around the corner! That means it's time to announce our third annual Myrtle Holiday Windows Contest! We’re inviting artists to use storefront windows along Myrtle Avenue as a canvas for festive holiday art, and to compete for some cool prizes. Once all the windows are done, people can vote via text message for their favorite holiday storefront design! The top three designs will be awarded Myrtle Avenue gift certificates valued at $250 (first place), $100 (second place) and $50 (third place)! Check out photos from prior contests in 2008 and 2009 on our Flickr site.
This year’s theme is “A Winter Wonderland on Myrtle”. Put your own creative spin on it! Here are guidelines for submissions:
• The materials used to create the holiday window scene could include paint, lights, paper, vinyl, or any other material agreed upon between the artist and the merchant. Some merchants have the infrastructure to hang 2D artwork (framed photos, paintings, prints, etc.) in their storefront windows via a ceiling-mounted track. Artists may also consider including 2D artwork if it helps to create a festive display.
• If paint is used, it must be temporary and easily removable (all products applied to the windows must be removable and must not damage the glass in any way). Paint will be applied on the INSIDE surface of the storefront window.
• The window design must not be 'solid', some transparency through the window from both outside and inside should remain.
• The Partnership will supply a $50 materials stipend to all participating artists upon completion of the window. Participating artists will also receive complementary admission to our annual holiday fundraiser in early December, which includes music, cocktails, and hors d’oeuvres!
• If selected, artists must commit to painting their windows between November 20th and December 1 during the business hours of their partner store. Artists who are familiar with Myrtle businesses are free to propose a merchant partner for their design, but it is not necessary. The Partnership will pair each artist with a merchant partner that best suits their proposed design.
• Once selected, artists must commit to meet briefly with their merchant partner prior to installation, to agree upon materials and installation time and logistics. Merchants are very excited to be a part of this initiative, and will look forward to meeting you!
Submit your idea by Monday, November 22nd at noon VIA EMAIL to Meredith@myrtleavenue.org:
1. Name, address, telephone and email contact information (individuals and teams are welcome to apply)
2. In 200 words or less, describe your design ideas for the storefront window and include a title for the piece. If you’d like to work with a particular business, please include that here as well.
3. A sketch, photo or other imagery that represents your idea.
4. Photos (no more than 3) or links to examples of your work.
Photo: Keri Ferrara, “Give the Gift of Love” at Joseph Tyler Salon in 2009.